Friday, May 11, 2012

Loose Ends

So, my semester is ending and this will be my last full-length blog post. I've decided to amalgamate some ideas I kicked around but never developed into essays. The post will be correspondingly rough. Hope it's not too bad.

Music Videos

Music videos are the most obvious pieces of Intermedia to me. They combine visuals, lyric poetry, and music. Sometimes the video matches the music and echoes the lyrical theme, (I think The Avalanches' videos reflect the musical muse clearly.) and sometimes the video is an extension of the music, an outgrowth of the music. (Spike Jonze videos are like this.)

That's all fine and good. And mundane. Google is helping directors create interactive videos with HTML 5, and the results are mind-expanding. The Wilderness Downtown video takes place in the viewers neighborhood by importing street view images from Google Earth. The Ro.me video lets the viewer guide the gaze, and sometimes the path, of the protagonist. Videos like this add an element of interactivity that elevates the medium to New Media.

Scalar

I always meant to make some sort of interactive diagram or infographic about the history of Intermedia, but I never found tools that would let me do it easily. If scalar had come out of beta, you can bet I'd have been all over that. (Also, Google Charts)

Intermedia?

Bennett, why does your blog claim to focus on Intermedia when it seems to be more about digital humanities?

Great question inner-interlocuter! When I was signing up for classes last semester I was slated to take AP Comparative Government. But I didn't want to take AP Comparative Government. I wanted free time to work on the fiction I was writing.

So, I signed up for an independent study with Mrs. Burwell, who said I would need a course syllabus. I spent some time googling and found a New School syllabus for Intermedia. Since I draft in Adobe Illustrator and heavily design my texts, Intermedia seemed a supple term I could bend to my benefit. I submitted the New School syllabus when I officially signed up for the class and enjoyed my break.

I began researching the avant-garde art movements associated with Intermedia, starting with Symbolism and going through Mail Art. I read all the manifestos and image searched relevant works. But I began to realize the Intermedia avant-garde continued online. So my studies shifted.


I created a syllabus for myself after the official proposal was accepted. It's a collage of real college syllabi. This is a scan of the original, but I made a few photocopies to get better acquainted with the techniques of Mail Art.

I became Facebook friends with Brad Troemel and added Aaron Koblin to my Google+ circles. But as historical surveys got harder to come by, I realized I was historically caught up. So I began to write expository blog posts about the modern possibilities for Intermedia, and then internet philosophy. You can roughly follow my learning by reading the posts chronologically. The first is a Futurist analysis of a Sufjan Stevens album (which I wish I could have made longer, but my word minimum is 500 and the essay was pushing 1000 when I decided the ROI was waning - that was before I realized bloggers broke big posts into parts) and the last one applies social contract theory to the internet.

I was following Intermedia into the present with a special focus on my interest in the design of literature.

Self-Evaluation?

Nothing says I have to evaluate myself, but it's involuntary. Overall, I'd say the writing probably goes from bad to worse with time, but the ideas improve. I'm decently proud of the Internet Social Contract post. A preliminary Google search returned no ideas exactly like it, so maybe it's original. That'd be a good sign I suppose.

The Reasons I Picked a Blog Over Paper Essays:

  1. Hypertextuality lets me allude to things without confusing the reader. It also lets me insert a special type of pun.
  2. The blog is public. It feels good to publish something to the world, even if the world is uninterested and the post is written badly.
  3. Comments make blog posts living documents. If something I propose becomes irrelevant (or relevant), the silent listener may comment and correct things.
Of course, all the above presupposes readership, of which there is virtually (no pun) none. Google tells me the blog has had thirty unique visitors in the last four months. I imagine most of those are the immediate friends and family who think hits will encourage me. The average time per visit is less than five minutes, and I drive that up by reading a whole post to spell-check it. The point of this pity party is that you, the reader, should comment on something. It would make my day - probably my week. Maybe my month.

So do it. Comment. Please.

Link Whoring

http://rhizome.org/ - This seems to be the center of all online art nowadays. The site was too big for me to digest, but I often used it as a reference for net.art.

http://www.ubu.com/ - Another site with everything. Eclectic collections of sound recordings and writings and film involving everyone from Joyce to Higgins.

0100101110101101.org - Decently famous art duo. Never got a chance to mention them I don't think, but they're worth knowing.

Ergon Logos - Kinetic text project from Molleindustria.

Designing Literature - This is probably what I should have signed up for (not that the syllabus would've gotten my proposal accepted). From what I can tell, Jentery Sayers is my intellectual soul-mate.

Pseudonyms

I've always meant to write a post about pseudonyms in art, but never got the chance. Duchamp's implementation of pseudonyms could easily be extended to the internet. The Social Contract post tell you how to create a false identity.

Memes

Brad Troemel wrote somewhere that memes will replace language at some point. I think that's a decent idea. Sort of full circle on the hieroglyphics concept. The images themselves communicate more than the raw text; they communicate a context and tone with the image, which is recognized instantly by an experienced user, just as words are recognized by experienced readers.

Closing - Thanks for reading

It means more than anything to me that you've read this, especially if you're neither friend nor family. I'll end this post by inviting any comments about the blog itself (formal hypocrisy, critique of post length, etc) or any general good/bad feelings to be posted below.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading these posts and, through them, learning a little more about Intermedia myself.

    Intermedia is a fascinating realm of study, and I am impressed with not only your findings but your motivation, and certainly by your writing- clear, witty, and unique. Forgive my reiteration, but this blog really is great.

    Best wishes for the future. You'll go far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never remember to check to come by of my own, by at least I check it when reminded. vid eos. nice. Forgot how awesome We Were Once a Fairytale is. Liking the use of hyperlinking, definitely warrants itself and adds to the overview.

    A thing I thought of in relation to interactive music videos: music games should also be considered. Not the guitar hero sort mind you(though those are somewhat intriguing, if worn out as a genre), but the Rez, bit.trip, and Every Extend Extra sort that actually merge music and gameplay interestingly - some fun results. Puzzle music games (auditorium, lumines, chime) especially tend to be very effective at enacting a really focused, flowing feeling. Freeform stuff like Electroplankton, which is basically playful composition of music, is also pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete

Blog posts are living documents. You can be part of that life by adding to the discussion.